January 12, 2011

Effective Hugging

When hugging, research shows that the minimum time necessary to promote the flow of oxytocin and serotonin, which are chemicals that promote bonding, is six seconds!

Now, really, that sounds like a short amount of time. However, when I started counting in my head - "1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi..." - I almost squirmed out of my skin! Now, for those of you who know me, I'm pretty affectionate and show it by little caresses or hugs or kisses all the time. So, I was a little surprised to notice that staying in an embrace for six seconds challenged me a little bit.

Of course, I also live in a world where anything that takes more than three seconds is considered an impediment to progress ... so, maybe not so surprising after all?

Either way, don't feel nervous if you hear me mumbling under my breath next time we embrace or holding on despite your little shimmies to try to get away - I promise, it's for your own good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for my free guide so you can stop spinning your wheels and instead navigate your way through each stage of recovery with ease and clarity. Get the support you need today