April 25, 2012

Connected, but Alone?

I recently came across this amazing Ted Talk in which Sherry Turkle, a professor at MIT in the Program in Science, Technology and Society, explores our relationship to and use of technology and how this is impacting our relationships with others.

As Turkle says,
"The feeling that 'no one is listening to me' makes us want to spend time with machines that seem to care about us."
Now, I know this is not a new topic, but I think Turkle's perspective on how technology is impacting us individually and in relationship reaches the heart of the matter in an intuitive and insightful way.


I want to encourage you to watch and then reflect on these questions:
  • How confident am I in my own abilities to have a conversation, to connect with others in real time?
  • How do I use technology to satisfy my need for connection?
  • Can you relate to what Turkle says about the feeling of "no one is listening"? If so, is it technology alone that you use as a salve or other things as well (work, over-scheduling, addictions, etc.)
  • Turkle encourages us to first start seeing "solitude as a good thing. Make room for it." How can you create and embrace solitude?



---

Discover the 3 Stages of Recovery from Childhood Abuse

The road to recovery is much easier when you know what stage you're in and what to do next. Find out exactly where you are in your healing journey and what kind of support you need right now. 
This FREE 9-page guide will give you the answers you've been seeking.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for my free guide so you can stop spinning your wheels and instead navigate your way through each stage of recovery with ease and clarity. Get the support you need today